Class Act, or Mendacious Moral Midget?
1. On October, 1995, while on a public street in Los Angeles, Baldwin punched photographer Alan Zanger, breaking his nose and glasses. Baldwin also covered Zanger’s truck with shaving cream. He was booked on suspicion of battery, and for a time faced up to six months in jail. Zanger filed suit and the jury rejected Baldwin’s self-defense claim. Baldwin was ultimately forced to pay damages to Zanger.
2. In December, 1998, in a late-night television tirade against political conservatives, Baldwin shouted at the audience: “[I]f we were in other countries, we would all right now, all of us together . . . go down to Washington and we would stone Henry Hyde to death! We would stone him to death! . . . We would stone Henry Hyde to death and we would go to their homes and we’d kill their wives and their children. We would kill their families.”
3. In 2007, Baldwin forever branded his 11-year-old daughter Ireland as “a rude, thoughtless little pig,” in a threatening voicemail message he left her (in which he said he would arrive soon to “straighten your ass out”), which ended up being aired worldwide, including on YouTube. He complained that by not answering the phone when he had called, she’d wasted his time, asking: “[Y]ou think . . . I’ve got nothing better to do? I could be shouting shit at random people on the street, but I’m calling you. I don’t care that you’re twelve or eleven or whatever . . . . I’m a good father, and you’re a pig. I don’t give a shit. . . . Get mad you daughter-of-a-bitch. . . . Oh, also, tell your mother I said, ‘Go fuck yourself.'”
4. In December, 2011, Baldwin turned belligerent when an American Airlines flight attendant instructed him to turn off his phone to prepare for takeoff. As a crew member described Baldwin’s actions, “he was violent, abusive and aggressive. He got into the bathroom and started beating on the wall and he pounded his fists on the galley counter.” The passengers and crew were put through a substantial delay while Baldwin was removed from the plane. After Baldwin misrepresented what had occurred, American Airlines fired back with the actual facts. Baldwin wrote an article on the incident, much of which was devoted to attacking the airline system and the flight attendant who told him to shut off his phone. Hardly remorseful for his outrageous behavior, a few days later he used the incident as material for a Saturday Night Live sketch.
5. In June, 2012, Baldwin shoved and punched New York Daily News photographer Marcus Santos on a public sidewalk outside a public building (photo above), and then ranted about the incident on Twitter. He joked about it the next day on the Letterman Show, where he dropped his pants. That day he also rolled his mountain bike over the foot of a television reporter and shoved her using his bike.
6. In February, 2013, in a racist rant during a confrontation on a public sidewalk Baldwin called retired decorated New York police detective G. N. Miller – an African American – a “coon,” a “crackhead,” and a “drug dealer.” He also make disparaging remarks about Miller’s mother, and told Miller to “suck my dick.” Baldwin then went on another Twitter rant, in which he again called Miller a “crackhead.”
7. In his Class Day speech, Baldwin fatuously asserted he wished he had attended Harvard Law School and become a lawyer, instead of settling for being a wealthy actor who’s romanced some of the most beautiful women in the world (knowing that his deal with the Devil bars the Devil from revealing the truth).